30 September, 2012

New York...finally!

When my office asked me if I could go to New York with just a few days notice, I was a little hesitant due to prior commitments. But when I realised it was also NY fashion week that week, I immediately confirmed! What better week to indulge in the New York buzz and excitement?

After a horrendous 24 hour journey from Singapore via Hong Kong, I was a jet lagged mess. But I had a whole NY after-office hours week of sightseeing planned, so I had to get energised. As soon as I got to the hotel, I dropped my bags, got ready to go - but was then strongly advised to not go out due to the reported tornadoes in the city... :-( So I did as I was told and stayed put.

The next day was a gloriously sunny one. I swept my jet lag aside, and began my sightseeing tour as any typical first timer in NY would.  New York...finally! The 24 hour journey was worth it. Statue of Liberty - tick, Empire State Building - tick, Trump towers (it was right there so why not?) - tick, Grand Central Station - tick, Chrysler building - tick, New York library - tick. After all of this sightseeing throughout the week I was exhausted, but I found my place in the city on my very last day in the meat packing district. Such a great atmosphere and buzzy vibe. The High Line, the views and the quaint stalls in the UrbanSpace pop up market. My favorite purchases in NY include a silver ring handcrafted in Brooklyn from Bora, and handy sized zip pouches by Pamela Barsky with witty captions pictured below (www.pamelabarsky.com) which can double up as a clutch. I chatted to the designer herself and couldn't decide which out of two to purchase, so I just bought both!

Our WT NY tips: 
  • Lunch/dinner - I would highly recommend Antique Garage in Soho which had a relaxed and quaint atmosphere. Old antiquey chairs and tables, an exposed brick wall covered with frames of all shapes and sizes. It was a balmy evening so the doors were opened out onto the street. I ordered the seared tuna which had to be the largest portion I have ever been given in a restaurant. I would also recommend Cabana Nuevo Latino in Seaport. The sizzling steaks were mouth-watering, and I like how Seaport felt like walking through the streets of Brighton. 
  • Pampering goods - Sabon - The body scrubs (salts sourced from the Israel dead sea), butter creams and the blocks of rich body butters in the various fragrance combinations were incredible. My favorite scents have to be the Vanilla Coconut, Ginger Orange and Jasmine. These products aren't cheap, but they are worth every penny. All products have pure and natural ingredients, strictly no parabens, mineral oil, paraffin wax, DEA and PABA, all encased in oh-so-pretty packaging (mainly glass containers which are also refillable with a bonus of 10% off the price of the contents). Stock up, I wish I did as I discovered they only ship within the US! 
  • Wandering - The High Line - Great views and a great vibe. Various tea and cake and ice cream stalls were dotted around the High Line, plenty of seating to relax, soak up the elevated moments of calm as the meatpacking hustle and bustle continue below.

Pamela Barsky New York
Witty captions on these zipped pouches by Pamela Barksy, bought at Urbanspace in the Meatpacking District. I chatted to the designer herself and it was not easy trying to decide which one to buy - so I bought two! www.pamelabarsky.com
This ring by BORA was one of my favourite buys, also purchased in the Urbanspace in the Meatpacking District  - Handcrafted in Brooklyn NY. Chalcedony stone, sterling silver with brass overlay around the stone borajewelry@gmail.com
ourwthouse love at UrbanSpace in the Meatpacking district 
Bora jewelry Brooklyn New York
Pizza in the meatpacking district is gooood

Antique Garage  Restaurant New York
Antique Garage seared tuna - the largest piece of tuna I have ever had in a restaurant, Soho New York


Seaport New York
Seaport New York

The High Line at sunset

The High Line New York Empire State Building
Empire State building view from The High Line
View from the High Line








Antique Garage New York
Antique Garage restaurant decor, Soho New York



Two beams of light shine on the September 11 2012 to mark the twin towers that fell on September 11 2001
Manhattan view from the Empire State Building

No comments:

Post a Comment